Sunday, June 28, 2015

Is Success Really Measurable?


I've always wanted to be "successful" in life (as most people do, I'm sure). But I mean, I was, and am, the spokesperson for traditional ideals of success. I studied hard in high school so I could get into a great college (I was going for an Ivy, which didn't work out but I do believe NYU is better for me anyway). I have big dreams for after college- getting a job at a super big bank or something of the sort, making six-figures in the first few years and seven after that.

But I never stopped to think about what I really wanted when I was planning all of that. I didn't ask myself why I wanted it, though many people have asked me since I started school. The truth is, I don't know why I want to do those things, besides the fact that that's what I feel I need to be successful. Some people define success as becoming a doctor or a lawyer, or simply owning a house and having a happy family.

Then there's another type of person altogether- the kind that thinks happiness is the only key to success. You know, the "money can't buy happiness" kind. Personally, I've never been a huge fan of that kind of person because money can buy a lot of things that can make you happy, and isn't that kind of the same thing? (Listen to "Buy Me A Boat" by Chris Janson, it kind of explains my thoughts on that).

But then I come across people like Noelle Hancock who wrote this amazing story for Cosmopolitan about selling all her belongings and moving to an island. Reading that story kind of made me want to sell of my things and move to an island- you have to admit, it's kind of an exciting idea.

So I ask myself what I really want a little more often now. Could I still be successful if I move to an island I've never even visited?

How important is being successful to me?


I don't have it all completely figured out yet but I do know one thing: I don't see success as the traditional view society has of it. I don't think I'll be selling all my belongings any time soon, but I do think that's a definite possibility for me after I graduate college.

Success is such a broad word, I think everyone has to define it for themselves. Then you have to revise your definition of it over and over as your life evolves (or as you succeed) because living life without something to work toward is pretty boring, actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment