Monday, August 1, 2016

Choosing a life path


I like to use "life path" and "career" interchangeably. In my mind, your career is your life, and your career dictates your lifestyle (and your lifestyle dictates your career, for that matter). However, life paths can lead you to many different careers, but they'll *probably* all be connected in one way or another.

So I still haven't finished college, but I'd like to think I've got the right idea on choosing a path. I've changed my mind so many times up until this point, I've at least got the internal debate part down. I don't know exactly where I'll end up, but I have come to realize that there doesn't have to be one single choice that will dictate your entire life.

The school I go to (NYU Stern) is a business school, which I had to choose before I even applied to college. So my major (business) has been pretty much set in stone since Dec. 31st 2013; however, I do get to choose a "concentration" and minors, which has given me a whole lot of internal debating to do. At first, I was 100% interested in finance, then I moved on to marketing, now I'm more interested in entrepreneurship and management.

The real kicker is: I've decided that my choice in concentration really doesn't matter for me. Sure, if I wanted to work for Goldman Sachs (I used to, but that's not really my thing anymore), I should probably follow the clearly outlined path for finance. But I don't want to live life according to a very specified plan.

I want to live a life I can always be happy with. 
That means I'm probably going to switch jobs 20 times, all of them being in completely different industries. I'll probably get bored at the first few, then too stressed by a few more, until I find the perfect one. But for now, I'm setting myself up for those changes that will make me happy.

I'm learning a little bit about all different types of business, and even things outside of business, so I can do whatever my heart desires when I "grow up." I want to spend some time building my own company (if I can ever come up with an idea, that is). I might want to go to law school (who knows!), or maybe I'll move to an island and scoop ice cream for a year or so (actually a dream of mine). But for now, my life path is to have an ever-evolving path. It's no yellow brick road to Oz or anything, but it is (hopefully) perfect for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment