Tuesday, August 9, 2016

The downside of being a frequent traveler



What do you mean there are downsides to traveling?

It does sound a little weird, even to me. But I've realized recently that being a frequent flyer comes with some unexpected twists that I must say I'm not a huge fan of.

First: it's easy to sound like a huge asshole.

Last night, one of my friends was telling me about all of the different states she wants to visit (Oregon, Colorado, Vermont, etc.) and my first reaction was "oh I love [insert state here], it's so beautiful!" I meant it in the most genuine way, trying to encourage her to visit, and telling her that it's totally worth it. Turns out it sounded like I was bragging. I got a response like "of course you've been there" in a sarcastic tone.

It happens to me way too often. I only mean to share experiences, and it's not like I'm trying to brag. I don't walk up to people saying "Hey, guess what! I've been to 35 states and a bunch of countries! I'm so cool!" but sometimes people react as if I did do that. But I don't want to keep my experiences to myself either. I make it a huge point in my life to travel. I save money to make semi-regular trips, and plan them out (or take random trips to Europe) both ways work pretty well for me, so why shouldn't I share it? This is one downside I'm not sure I'll ever be able to resolve, to be honest.

Second: once you start, you can't stop.

Isn't that the story with everything?

Every time I get back from one trip, I'm ready to start planning the next. I just can't get enough. I'm not the type of person to only go to a city once, either. I like to take a couple of trips, just to make sure I see everything.

And let's not pretend this isn't at least slightly a downside. Traveling is expensive. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with spending half of my (very small) salary on traveling. In fact, I wouldn't want to spend it on anything else. However, it doesn't leave much room for saving for things like a house or a car, at least not any time soon.

Are there any downsides to traveling I've missed? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment